Tuesday, September 2, 2008

News from down under!

Look what appeared in my email:
Thanks, Uncle Tom! It came from Australia, so I had to flip it around to find my cousins and Aunt Maureen!

I met Uncle Bob when I was about 14. It was probably 1977 or 1978. I found him very interesting, since he had arrived from Australia, seemed to know a lot about my mom, yet lived such a different life in such a different place (or so it seemed then). At fourteen, I could not believe I had been dealt such a tough blow in life. I'd had the misfortune of being born into the most boring place in the entire universe: New York. Why couldn't I live somewhere exciting?

So these are people who have lived in Australia their entire lives, but been envied by this boring New Yorker the whole time! In the back are David, Mark, and Paul. In the front are Matthew, Maureen, and Steve. Unfortunately, Uncle Bob is now deceased.

So this intrigues me. My father's name is David, and my brothers are named Mark and Steve. That's quite a few names to share. But it doesn't stop there. My mom has six grandkids. Three of them share names with Uncle Bob's nine grandkids. They both have a Justin, Katlyn/Caitlin, and a Robert.

I think Uncle Bob lives on in me a little bit. He planted that seed that I come from stock that can go anywhere and accomplish anything. I no longer feel trapped by life, but in love with it and all its possibilities. How cool to be related to you!

No comments: