Friday, August 22, 2008

I don't think we do at school what you think we do at school

When Andy was four, he came home from pre-school and very seriously said, "Mom, I need to talk to you."

We sat down and I asked what was the matter. He said, "I don't think we do at school what you think we do at school."

"What do you do at school?" I asked. I feared the worst. Does she yell? Hit the children? Is he in some sort of sadistic pre-school where the kids are in danger?

"We just play, eat snack, paint, stuff like that," he said.

What a relief. My baby was fine. He was right where he needed to be, just as I'd thought. He just needed some reassurance. I said, "That's exactly what I think you do at school."

I'll never forget his response. "Well I don't see how any of that is going to help me be an astronaut." I ended up reassuring him that his teacher was not incompetent, and he could trust her, that she really did have the keys to becoming an astronaut.

This morning he finally made it to astronaut school. He no longer wants to be an astronaut, but at least now he can tell that they have everything he needs to be one, if he wants to.

I have a suspicion that the phrase "I don't think we do at school what you think we do at school" will be taking on a new meaning.

No comments: